Business Computer Information Systems Program Requirements
- Greg Gagne
- Helen Hu
- Kathryn Lenth
- Jingsai Liang
- Alysse Morton
- Hal Snarr
Business Computer Information Systems is a joint program between Arts & Sciences and the Bill & Vieve Gore School of Business.
- Actively participate in and execute the practice of software development.
- Plan, design, test, and implement a hardware or software project both individually and as part of a group.
- Apply business, statistical, modeling, and computer science principles and skills to identify business problems, research and craft solution strategies, and develop an effective course of action.
- Use a data and computer science platforms to process structured and unstructured data, construct data architecture, design visual dashboards, and deploy predictive models to find solutions to business problems that achieve stated objectives.
Business Computer Information Systems (BCIS) is an interdepartmental program combining studies in computer information systems from Westminster’s Department of Computer Science and Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business.
Business Computer Information Systems professionals must have sound technical knowledge of computers, communications, software, but they must also understand how organizations and how they function. Thus, the Business Computer Information Systems major provides a combination of technical computer science coursework as well as several business courses, including a strong emphasis on the acquisition, deployment, and management of information technology and data architecture, applying statistical and quantitative methods, employing predictive models, and making data-driven decisions on a solid foundation of business and economic knowledge.
Students must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in all courses required for the Business Computer Information Systems major.
Students must meet the university-wide graduation requirements in addition to the Business Computer Information Systems major:
- 124 total hours
- 30 upper division hours
- WCore or Honors College requirements
Business Computer Information Systems Major
|Requirement Description||Credit Hours||Prerequisites|
|I. World Language Requirement||8|
|II. Prerequisite Programming Courses||4|
|III. Lower Division Courses||20|
|IV. Upper Division Courses||27|
|Total Hours for BCIS Major||69|
*Students may also take CMPT 190 and 210 in lieu of CMPT 201.
**BCIS majors should take BUSI 400 after they complete the two business electives. They can take it prior to or alongside CMPT 385.
Recommended Plan of Study for BCIS
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Year 1||BUSI 101A
|Year 2||ACCT 213
|Year 3||Business Elective*
DATA 350 or DATA 360
|Year 4||BUSI 405
For language 1 & language 2, choose from SPAN 110 & 111, LATN 110 & 111, JAPN 110 & 111, FREN 110 & 111, or CHIN 110 & 111.* Must complete two of the following business electives: ACCT 313, MGMT 309, MKTG 300, ECON 263, or FIN 300. These should be taken before BUSI 405.
**Must complete one non-May Term CMPT 300/400 elective.