Academic Policies and Procedures

Registration | Withdrawal and Leave of AbsenceGraduation | General Information


Credit Hours

One credit hour is given for one 50-minute class per week for 14 weeks or the equivalent.

Registration Sessions

Registrations are accepted via the college’s web system (WebAdvisor) or in person. Students are notified of their dates to register in advance by email. Currently enrolled students are given priority registration rights.

  • Registration for Summer Terms occurs in February.
  • Registration for Fall Semester occurs in March.
  • Registration for Spring Semester occurs in October.

Academic Load

Fall/Spring Hours
Average 15
Full time 1216
Half time 611
Less than half time 5 or fewer
Maximum for students on probation 13
Full time for students with financial assistance 12
Full time for students with veterans’ benefits 12
Minimum for international students 12

Overload Hours

Students who wish to register for more than the maximum number of hours must have at least a 3.0 GPA. Students who wish to take more than 20 credit hours in a regular semester (Fall or Spring) must also have the permission of their academic advisor and the dean of the appropriate school.

Prerequisite Requirements

Certain courses at the college have course and skill prerequisites. The prerequisites for a course are listed in the academic catalog, class schedule, and course syllabus. Students are permitted to pre-register for a course that has prerequisites provided the prerequisite coursework is in progress at the time of the registration session. Students are responsible for making sure they have met prerequisites and grade standards prior to the beginning of each semester. The college reserves the right to withdraw a student from any course for which prerequisites and grade standards have not been met.

May Term

May term is offered for undergraduate students during the month of May as a short, interim term between Spring and Summer semesters. May term is designed to help students fulfill upper division elective requirements, as well as to offer unique courses where students can gain in-depth knowledge of interesting topics in classes which are not offered during a regular semester. May term also gives instructors the opportunity to teach courses that devote focused attention to a subject that emphasizes their areas of expertise. May term classes are typically two credits, and meet for six hours in class each week.

In addition to regular course offerings, we also offer several international and domestic study tours each May term under the direction of Westminster faculty. May term study experiences have taken Westminster students to places such as southern Utah, California, New York, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, China, and many countries in Europe. The cost of a study experience is not included in May term tuition.

Please note that if a student wishes to use a May Term Study Experience to receive world language credit towards fulfilling his/her world language requirement, then that language must be the native or predominant language of the country of destination, and a world language faculty member must co-teach the course, and a student must have already passed at least one semester of world language instruction in the same language at the college level.

Students can apply their earned May term credits to either the May term or to the Summer semester. Payment of full-time tuition for Fall and/or Spring semesters earns two hours each, for a possible total of four hours. To apply 2 earned hours to the Summer semester, students must register for a minimum of three total credit hours. To apply 4 earned hours, students must register for 6 or more credit hours.


The college may place administrative holds for students with outstanding financial obligations, overdue library books, library fines, bad checks, or other obligations to the college. Once a hold has been placed, students may be prevented from registering or obtaining diplomas or official transcripts until the obligation is met. Unofficial informational transcripts are available on the campus web site through WebAdvisor.

Late Registration

Students may register until the end of the first full week of classes, or for classes that start later in the semester, up until the day before the second day of classes. Specific dates are listed in the Academic Calendar. Beginning with the first day of classes, students must obtain instructor permission to enroll in any classes by obtaining the instructor’s signature on an Add Card.

Confirmations of Class Schedules

Students can check their schedule and print a confirmation at any time using WebAdvisor, or they may come to the Registrar’s Office during office hours to receive a copy. Students are expected to check these confirmations carefully and report discrepancies to the Registrar’s Office. The computerized confirmation reflects the courses for which the student is actually registered.

Wait Lists

Once a class has closed, a student has the option of being put on a wait list for that class. As space becomes available, students are added in the class automatically by the Registrar’s Office during the pre-registration period. Once classes begin, a student must turn in an Add Card with the instructor’s signature in order to be officially enrolled in the class. Although many students get into their classes from the wait list, students are encouraged to choose alternate courses whenever possible.

Adding Courses

Students may add courses until the end of the first full week of classes. Specific dates are listed in the Academic Calendar. Beginning the first day of classes, students must obtain instructor permission before adding and can no longer add courses via the Web (WebAdvisor).

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all sessions of each class. Specific attendance requirements are established by each instructor, and such requirements are enforced by the college. Students are responsible for making sure they have dropped courses that they do not plan to attend.

Directed Studies

A completed Application for Permission to take a Directed Studies Course form, signed by the instructor and School Dean, must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Auditing Courses

Students may elect to audit courses at Westminster according to the guidelines listed below. Courses that are entered on students’ permanent records as audited (AU) earn no credit and fulfill no requirements.

Regular Audit

Students may register for a regular audit (one-half of credit tuition) according to the following guidelines:

  1. Subject to space availability, students may sign up to audit a class on the first day of class.
  2. Only students accepted to Masters degree programs may audit graduate classes.

Alumni Audit

Students who graduated from Westminster and who are not currently pursuing a degree may register for an Alumni Audit ($100 per class, plus a $50 technology fee and any related course fees for Fall or Spring semesters) according to the following guidelines:

  1. Alumni must register through the Alumni Relations Office. Registrations accepted by the Alumni Office will be verified two business days prior to the first day of class and are subject to space availability.
  2. Alumni will not be added to waitlists when a course is considered full.
  3. Alumni Audit applications must be received at least two business days before the first day of the semester.
  4. Students wishing to participate in the Alumni Audit program are required to adhere to all college deadlines for withdrawal and payment of tuition and fees. Students who fail to withdraw will be charged accordingly. Alumni Audits will receive a bill from accounting.
  5. Students currently pursuing a graduate degree may not participate in the Alumni Audit program for an undergraduate course while taking classes at the graduate level.
  6. Not all classes are eligible for Alumni Audits. For example, it is not possible to take music lessons or independent art courses at the Alumni Audit rate due to the costs of hiring instructors. Please contact the Alumni Office for eligible courses.
  7. Only students with graduate-level degrees from Westminster College may choose to audit a graduate-level course.  The following programs will allow alumni to audit courses in their programs:
    • Master of Education Program (MED)
    • Master of Community Leadership (MACL)
    • Master of Professional Communication (MPC)
    • Master of Public Health (MPH)
    • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
    • Master of Business Administration in Technology Commercialization (MBATC)
    • Master of Accountancy (MACC)
  8. Ceramics classes include a $250 materials fee.

Academic Advising

Academic advising and mentoring is crucial to Westminster College’s student-centered mission. It is a developmental process during which advisors (faculty, staff, and peer) work with individual students to create curricular choices designed to match the student’s life and career goals. In partnership with students, advisors will:

  • Share knowledge about the institution and the curriculum
  • Link students to college and community resources
  • Provide accessible advising
  • Demonstrate sensitivity to differences among diverse student communities

Faculty advisors work with students to map out degree requirements and plan course sequencing to graduation. These advising sessions generally:

  • Review the requirements for the degree, any special options, and possible electives
  • Identify any deficiencies in the student’s record and ways to correct them
  • Discuss career options

Withdrawal and Leave of Absence

Withdrawing from Courses

For full-semester courses, students may withdraw from classes without penalty before the second full week of classes. For classes that meet in 7-week blocks, students may withdraw without penalty before the second class session. Please refer to the Student Accounts Services web page for the tuition refund schedule.

For full-semester courses, students may still withdraw from class through the eleventh week of class and receive a W. For classes that meet in 7-week blocks, students may withdraw from class before the sixth session and receive a W, which does not affect a student’s GPA. Students who withdraw after these dates receive a grade of WF, which is calculated as an F in the GPA.

Specific withdrawal deadlines are listed in the Academic Calendar. In case of illness or injury, family members may complete the student withdrawal from the college. In case of duress or special need, an administrative withdrawal may be initiated by the Dean of Students.

Students who fail to withdraw from courses they have not attended are liable for all tuition and interest charged to their accounts. Grades of F are assigned at the end of the semester for any classes that students fail to drop.

Medical Withdrawals

Students who are unable to complete a semester due to serious health problems and who are not eligible for grades of incomplete may request a medical withdrawal. Students seeking a medical withdrawal should contact the Dean of Students. Written verification from a physician or licensed mental health professional will be required. A medical withdrawal usually constitutes withdrawal from all courses for the semester, and withdrawals are made retroactive only to the last date of attendance. Requests for medical withdrawals must be submitted within six weeks after the end of the semester in question. If a medical withdrawal is granted, reevaluation by the student’s physician or counselor may be required prior to re-registration.

In order to appeal for a medical withdrawal, students must submit, in writing, to the Dean of Students Office:

A detailed letter (usually 1–3 pages in length) describing why the student is unable to complete his or her academic work during the semester. Because the petition is based on this written document, it is essential that the student include as many details as possible. In addition, the student should specifically state what he or she is requesting of the College regarding grades, scholarships, account, etc.

A written note from a medical professional (M.D., LCSW, FNP, counselor, etc.) detailing the following:

a) Medical professional’s name, title, phone number and address.
b) A clear summary of the diagnosis and how/why this condition is affecting the student’s academic pursuits.
c) A detailed account of when the medical professional saw the student

Meetings to examine petitions are held approximately once per month. A medical withdrawal usually constitutes withdrawal from ALL courses for the semester (as it is difficult to be medically unfit in one class but medically fit for another). Approved petitions will be made retroactive only to the last date of attendance and tuition charges are adjusted according to Westminster College’s posted refund schedule found on the Student Account Services’ webpage. If a medical withdrawal is granted, re-evaluation by the student’s medical professional will be required prior to re-registration.

Please forward all information via email, fax, or mail to Mark Ferne, Associate Provost for Student Development & Dean of Students:

Fax: 801.832.3103 (Attn: Mark Ferne)
Phone: 801.832.2230

Voluntary Leave of Absence

Westminster College recognizes that students occasionally find themselves in circumstances that require a voluntary leave.  A voluntary leave of absence at Westminster College is defined as an interruption of continuous enrollment for less than three regular semesters (does not include May term or summer term).  A voluntary leave of absence may be requested to engage in short-term military service, or for personal, medical*, employment, or financial reasons.  An approved voluntary leave of absence does not defer college loans and students should consult with the Financial Aid Office regarding their eligibility to maintain their current financial aid award.

*Note:  Students experiencing serious emergent illness should consult with the Dean of Students to request a medical withdrawal rather than a leave of absence.

To be eligible for a leave of absence, students must be a currently registered, degree-seeking student.  Some academic programs may impose restrictions upon a leave of absence, so students are encouraged to consult with their academic program or department prior to submitting a request for voluntary leave.  A leave of absence is not required for summer term.  Students under voluntary leave are not required to readmit upon return and may stay enrolled in their declared governing catalog provided they return within the three semesters.   Access to Westminster email and technology accounts remain active during a short-term leave of absence.   Students who fail to return to school after an approved leave of absence will be considered withdrawn by the institution and will be expected to reapply.

National or Religious Service

Students may engage in national (such as military service) or religious service for an extended period of time (longer than three regular semesters) but will be required to re-apply to the college upon their return.  Westminster will hold institutional scholarships, provided you do not attend another school before returning to Westminster.  In most cases, students are expected to be readmitted under current, existing catalog requirements in effect at the time of re-admission.

Applying for a Leave of Absence

  1. Discuss your desire to apply for a leave of absence with your academic or program advisor.
  2. Complete the Leave of Absence Form available on-line and in the Start Center or Registrar’s Office.
  3. Meet with representatives in the Financial Aid Office, Student Account Services, and Campus Housing (if applicable).  Students with outstanding financial balances will be required to sign promissory notes and make adequate financial arrangements prior to taking leave.
  4. Completed forms must be turned in to the Registrar’s Office to complete the leave process.

Note:  Students who are unable to apply for voluntary leave in person, may designate an individual to apply for them, provided there is a Release of Information Form (FERPA) on file for that designated individual.


Applying for Graduation

Candidates for graduation should apply to the Registrar’s Office two regular semesters prior to their planned completion date. Students can apply for December, May, or August graduation dates. Application deadlines are posted in the Academic Calendar.

To apply for graduation, students must obtain degree audits for all academic programs, including the undergraduate honors program. Graduation applications are available in the Registrar’s Office. Students are expected to meet with their academic advisors to review and sign all required paperwork. Paperwork that is unsigned or incomplete will be returned to the student. Candidates are notified of remaining degree requirements and their status within four to eight weeks after applying for graduation.

Graduation Requirements

To be eligible for an undergraduate degree, students must satisfy the conditions outlined in each program.

To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree, students must satisfy the following conditions:

  • Complete a minimum of 124 semester credit hours, 30 of which must be upper-division courses (numbered 300 or above) from a four-year institution (see Quantity Standard below).
  • Fulfill all WCore requirements.
  • Maintain an overall grade point average of 2.00 or above (see Grade Point Average section below).
  • Meet all course requirements and grade point average requirements in the major and minor (see individual major and minor listings).
  • Fulfill the residency requirements currently in effect (under Degree Requirements page).

Note: Grades of CR or C- or above satisfy WCore requirements for graduation. However, only letter grades of C- or better may be presented to satisfy major or minor requirements (with the exception of Nursing, which requires a grade of C or better; and Education, which requires a grade of C+ or better in all education classes).

The final responsibility for being informed about, and adhering to, graduation requirements rests with the individual student.

Quantity Standard

A minimum of one hundred twenty-four (124) credit hours of college work is required for graduation. Thirty (30) hours of this number must be earned in upper division courses (courses numbered 300 and above). Although some lower division transfer coursework from two-year institutions may be accepted as meeting upper division major requirements, these hours will not be counted toward the 30 upper division hours required for graduation. Students with 123.51 or more hours have completed the quantity standard for graduation.

Grade Point Average

Students must present a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all work completed at the college. Students must present a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.3 in their major unless otherwise specified in the major program. Students should check their major programs for grade point average requirements.

Graduating with Honors

Academic Honors are only awarded at the undergraduate level.

Honors noted in the Commencement program for undergraduate students are based upon the grade point average at the end of the fall  semester. Honors designations noted in the program are subject to change based on the calculation of final grade point averages for students attending May and Summer terms.

Grade point averages are not rounded in order to achieve honors. Honors are awarded to undergraduate students who complete 60 hours of coursework at Westminster with letter grades and who meet the following criteria:

Summa Cum Laude Top 10 percent of eligible students*
Magna Cum Laude Second 10 percent of eligible students*
Cum Laude Third 10 percent of eligible students*

*Eligible students are undergraduate students who complete 60 hours of coursework at Westminster with letter grades.

The grade point averages necessary to meet honors criteria are based on the previous year’s graduating class GPA. The GPAs required to receive honors for graduation is determined after the entire class has been graduated in August and are published at the beginning of the Fall semester.

Academic Rank

Westminster College does not rank its students.

Dean’s List

The Dean’s List is an academic honor list computed after Fall and Spring semesters. To qualify for the list, students must complete at least 12 graded credit hours and achieve a 3.5 GPA or higher for the term. Courses graded credit/no credit are not counted toward the 12 hours.


The college-wide commencement ceremony is typically held in May. All students who complete requirements for graduation and are entitled to receive degrees are expected to be present at the commencement exercises. Students who, due to extenuating circumstances, are unable to attend must request that they be excused. Requests must be made in writing to the Registrar’s Office.

General Information

Web Services

Students can use WebAdvisor to search and register for classes, view and print class schedules, print unofficial transcripts, print degree audits, change their address, and pay tuition. At the end of the semester, all final grades are posted in WebAdvisor. WebAdvisor requires a login name and password, which can be obtained through the Information Services department.

CANVAS is Westminster’s online learning management system. It includes online tools such as syllabi, discussion boards, electronic reserves and more. Students and faculty are automatically loaded into their CANVAS courses at the start of a semester; however, as students add and drop, this may not be reflected in CANVAS.

The CANVAS database is not connected to the official main college database directly. Students dropped from CANVAS are not considered dropped from courses officially and are still responsible for all tuition charges.

E-mail Accounts

Each student is provided with a Microsoft Outlook e-mail account when they are accepted as a student. This campus e-mail system provides the e-mail address of all the students, staff, and faculty at Westminster. Students are required to check their campus e-mail frequently because important information is sent to students via e-mail, such as registration deadlines, campus events and activities, or general school announcements. Instructors also use Microsoft Outlook to contact students with specific class information. For instructions on how to check student e-mail or, linking college email to an off-campus email address, please contact the Help Desk in the garden level of the Giovale Library or call the IS Support Phone at 801.832.2023.

ID Cards

Student ID cards are available in the Health, Wellness, and Athletics Center. The card gives access to the fitness center and acts as a library card (giving access to all academic libraries in Utah), a meal card, an activity card, and official college identification. A semester sticker on the back of the card indicates that the card has been validated through the term indicated. Identification cards must be validated each semester. Replacement cost is $10.

Parking Stickers and Bus Passes

Please visit the campus patrol web page for information on parking passes:

Westminster offers annual bus passes, good for all UTA buses except ski and paratransit buses, for free. Visit the Health and Wellness Center (HWAC) for more details about this year’s current costs as well as how to obtain a new “swipe card” to serve as a pass. In some cases, you may be asked to show your college I.D. card to use the pass.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email